Lent is coming up, have you thought what you can do for the next 40 days to grow in your love for Christ and have a deeper conversion? Some people go for the classic “giving-up” of something, and there are plenty of options out there that can help you live this season with a true spirit of conversion. Here are a few ideas…
- A lot of people feel the need to “unplug” during Lent from their electronic devices or social media accounts. If for some reason, work or family issues, you have to stay on those devices you can try to limit the time. And add a background to your device that will lift your heart up to Christ and the sufferings he took on for love of you.
- Maybe social media isn’t a big temptation for you and you don’t feel the need to leave it for 40 days. Well how about deciding on sending out a quote from the Bible, the pope, or saints to help others raise their hearts to Christ?
- Try working on a virtue that you see is lacking in your life.
- Adding more time of prayer will always lead you to a deeper relationship with Christ, and what better time to start than now in Lent?
- Go to Mass everyday, and better yet be in a continous state of grace in order to receive the Eucharist.
- Take some time away from some unnecessary activity and replace it with 15 minutes of spiritual reading.
- Say an extra Rosary for poor sinners, and include yourself in that intention.
Whatever it is that you decide to do, make sure it is united to prayer and with the real desire deepen your relationship with Christ. And like with all things, the mortification or penance that you decide to do should always be consulted with your spiritual director. Don’t make Lent just another “Catholic diet-get-in-shape” time of the year.