May is the month of Mary, the Mother of God and our Mother.
Although we should always honor Mary, the Church sets aside this month especially for her. The whole month we should be honoring her whether it be with prayers, the Rosary, sacrifices, imitating her and her virtues, and/or consoling her heart that receives so many offenses.
This month, get closer to Mary. Remember that getting closer to her means getting closer to Jesus. Her desire is that we love her Son more, and she will always lead us to Him.
In Fatima, Portugal, Our Lady appeared to three shepherd children and told them "Say the Rosary every day, to bring peace to the world and the end of the war." and "When you pray the Rosary, say after each mystery: 'O my Jesus, forgive us, save us from the fire of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those who are most in need.' "
These are the 15 promises of Mary for those who pray the rosary:
- To all those who shall recite my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and very great graces.
- Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some
- The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against Hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin, and dispel heresy.
- The Rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies; it will substitute in hearts love of God for love of the world, and elevate them to desire heavenly and eternal good. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means!
- Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
- Those who shall recite my Rosary piously, considering its mysteries, will not be
overwhelmed by misfortune, nor die a bad death. The sinner will be converted; the just will grow in grace and become worthy of eternal life.
- Those truly devoted to my Rosary will not die without the consolations of the Church, or without grace.
- Those who shall recite my Rosary will find during their life and at their death the light of God, the fullness of His grace, and will share in the merits of the blessed.
- I will deliver very promptly from Purgatory the souls devoted to my Rosary.
- The true children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in Heaven.
- What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
- Those who propagate my Rosary will obtain through me aid in all their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Son that all confreres of the Rosary shall have for their
brethren in life and death the saints of Heaven.
- Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are all my beloved children, the brothers
and sisters of Jesus Christ.
- Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
Our Lady has appeared many times to ask us to sacrifice for sinners, so that souls will convert and be saved from hell.
Think of some kind of sacrifice you can do to offer up for the salvation of sinners.
In Fatima, Mary said "Sacrifice yourselves for sinners, and say many times, especially when you make some sacrifice: O Jesus, it is for love of You, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary."
Many saints with great to devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary have mentioned her 10 virtues that we should imitate. There is a list below. Pick one a day or one a week and ask Our Lady in the morning to help you imitate her in that virtue.
- Ardent Charity: Letting her love for God be the driving force behind every decision
- Profound Humility: Knowing who she is before God, nothing more and nothing less
- Universal Mortification: Seeking to lay down her life and her will at every moment
- Constant Mental Prayer: Always being aware of God’s presence
- Blind Obedience: Following God’s call without counting the cost
- Divine Wisdom: Always begging for God’s Spirit to guide her
- Surpassing Purity: Having a heart immaculately clean and unstained by sin
- Angelic Sweetness: Radiating joy and peace to everyone she encountered
- Lively Faith: Constantly seeking God’s will and never settling for complacency
- Heroic Patience: Always trusting that God was on the move; having more faith in His plans than her own.
The Immaculate Heart of Mary receives so many offenses with our sins. She asked us to make reparation, and she has told us how.
"Look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep me company for a quarter of an hour while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to me."